If your child has special educational needs they may be eligible for:

  • SEN support – support given in school, e.g. speech therapy
  • an education, health and care plan (EHC) – a plan of care for children and young people aged up to 25 who have more complex needs

From the 1st September 2014 statements of special educational needs are changing. Over the next 3 1/2 years statements are being replaced with an Education, Health and Care Plan.

The Education, Health and Care Plans will be a legal document, setting out the support that a child needs and will be reviewed annually   to ensure that any extra support given continues to meet your child’s need.

For more information about support for children with special educational needs see gov.uk under Children with special educational needs. https://www.gov.uk/children-with-special-educational-needs/overview

If you need any help or advice about your child’s special educational needs the following organisations can offer support and information:


The Advisory Centre for Education is an independent registered charity offering information about state education for 5-16 year olds. They offer a telephone advice service on 0300 0115 142. They also post useful advice booklets on their website. http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/


The Independent Panel for Special Education Advice is a volunteer-based organisation which offers free independent advice, free advice on appealing at tribunal (including representation when needed), and free second professional opinions. Many of the volunteers are parents of children with special educational needs. Telephone 0800 018 4016.  http://www.ipsea.org.uk/

Surrey SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (formerly Surrey Parent Partnership)

Surrey SEND Information, Advice and Support Service is funded by Surrey County Council and provides a confidential information advice and support service for parents of children with Special Educational Needs (SEN). Their helpline is 01737 737 300 and their website is http://www.sendadvicesurrey.org.uk/